In 2014, there were 3103 new cases of chlamydia diagnosed in Winnipeg.
- 78% of these cases were in people between the ages of 15 and 29.
- More than 1 in 50 young women between the ages of 15 and 19 were infected.
- More than 1 in 100 young men between the ages of 20 and 24 were infected.
- Chlamydia often has no signs or symptoms. Because of this, people can carry the infection from a previous partner and spread it to a new partner without knowing it.
- Using condoms from the beginning of sex to the end is the best way to avoid catching chlamydia.
- It’s also a good idea to get tested regularly, especially before having sex with a new partner.
For more information about chlamydia, including signs, symptoms, and how to get tested, visit our ‘Chlamydia and gonorrhea’ page.